It’s that time of year again – we love it, the rush of Bank holidays! Having just had a lovely Easter break with those 2 fabulous Bank holidays, it’s not long til the May holiday so we have put together a few ideas of things to do on the Isle of Wight, that gorgeous island that has so much going for it and such a treat to visit, really feels like you have travelled abroad! Check out our country cottages on the Isle of Wight, just so good to have a break away from home.
- Blackgang Chine is a fabulous place for children, and Shadow & Sheila, Blackgang’s resident baby T-Rex dinosaurs are back and as entertaining as ever, whether they’re roaming the park causing mischief and mayhem – or peforming in the new LIVE shows!
- Osborne House has launched the new family experience at the restored Swiss Cottage – the full size ‘Wendy House’ which was originally built in the grounds of the Royal Palace for Queen Victoria and Prince Albert’s children. Such an amazing property to visit, with beautiful gardens and the house full of antiques, it really has something for everyone.
- Coastal Walks on the Isle of Wight The variety of the coastal scenery is amazing, with towering stark white cliffs, the spectacular chalk stacks of ‘The Needles’, the multi-coloured sands of Alum Bay, wooded ‘chines’, golden beaches, dramatic landslipped bluffs, sheltered undercliffs, tidal creeks, estuaries, mudflats and salt marsh. Take a picnic and some treats and get some lovely fresh air.
- See the countryside from the Isle of Wight Steam Railway – such fun! Treat yourself to a relaxing day out over the half term break and enjoy the spectacle of some of the Island’s blossoming Summer-time countryside from the comfort of your seat on one of the lovely steam trains! Remember, Kids Go FREE, so there’s plenty to keep the youngsters occupied. Popular Island children’s entertainer, Greg Chapman, will amuse and occupy the kids with his stories, juggling and other antics, plus there’s colouring and crafts, which the children will love.
- The Real Ale Festival will be held on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th May at the Isle of Wight Steam Railway in Havenstreet. There will be a fantastic selection of beers from all over the country. Delicious food will also be served so a great day out for all!
- Boys and girls alike love a bit of action and Go Karting at Ryde will give them great memories of their Easter break on the Isle of Wight!
- Pub Lunches and watching the boats at Cowes. There are plenty of good pubs to choose from and Cowes is a lovely town to explore. Take time to wander along the quayside and enjoy looking at the various sizes of boats, from huge sailing yachts to little dingys, it really is a boaties’ heaven!
Of course you will need somewhere to rest your head after being so busy on the Isle of Wight, we have some lovely cottages dotted around the Island, ideal for an Easter break or a holiday any time of year. If you have plans to visit another area of the UK, don’t forget we have a whole host of Easter cottages, but they are booking up, so check them out by clicking here.
Cowes, Isle of Wight | Sleeps: 8 | Bedrooms: 4 | From £525
Locks Farm Cottage, Cosy into this welcoming cottage placed within walking distance of the Newton Nature Reserve and just a short drive from Cowes and all the Isle of Wight has to offer.
Locks Farm is a very picturesque, historic cottage which has been transformed into a beautiful family friendly home from home. Whether you are snuggling down by the large log burner placed in the inglenook fireplace or enjoying a family meal in the beamed kitchen, which comfortably seats eight with range master, it’s simply ideal for those get-togethers you have been planning for a while. You will also find that the cottage is full of modern conveniences and in perfect contrast to the ‘Old World’ feel.
Locks Farm is ideal for families and nature enthusiasts; a break to the Isle of Wight offers a wealth of places to visit and idyllic countryside to explore. With Cowes and its picturesque harbourside High Street only a short drive away you will have the best of both worlds. You are also never too far from a beach on the island whilst a visit to Alum Bay with its multitude of coloured sands or Black Gang Chime for it’s kids entertainment is recommended. Your own private garden with BBQ and garden furniture will also make the perfect end to your days out in this unique British destination.
Shanklin, Isle of Wight | Sleeps: 14+4 | Bedrooms: 6 | From £2,500
A uniquely elegant Island residence, the perfect location for that special celebration. Immerse yourself in the glamour of a bygone age. The Great Gatsby has nothing on this!
Marine Villa commands the most striking A-list location on the beautiful Isle of Wight, perched on the cliffs overlooking Sandown Bay, its beach and pier it’s the perfect location to enjoy the sunset or even sunrise. With uninterrupted views of the English Channel this elegant and imposing villa, built in 1929, has a style all of its own from the manicured gardens, which could fool you into thinking you are in the south of France, and are the setting for alfresco dining or just lazing the day away on a sun lounger. The garden is a cool ¾ of an acre with a long water feature, outdoor seating for 16 and sea views from all aspects perfect for enjoying a sundowner.
The interior of the villa has been lovingly restored to its former grandeur with period art deco art and furniture, giving that feeling of decadence. With a magnificent Art-Deco sitting room seating 18 comfortably and a 22 place dining table, this house is perfectly suited to a multi-generational family get together. Further Art Deco influences include an upstairs sun room with huge sliding picture windows to enjoy the breathtaking sunrises by day and bay illuminations by night. Original oak panelling extends throughout with a truly opulent staircase taking you up to the bedrooms.
For more information about our cottages on the Isle of Wight or if you have other areas to visit, Holiday Cottages in the UK or our Luxury Cottage Holidays please call the knowledgeable Mulberry Cottages booking team on 01227 464958 or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org