What makes this area so special
This is what the famous walker Alfred Wainwright had to say about the Newlands Valley:
"More than 50 years have gone by since I first set eyes on Newlands and in all that time the valley seems not to have changed in any way. Today it is the same sweet Arcadia I knew so long ago, lovely and secluded, an idyllic place of flowers and trees, of emerald pastures and sequestered farmsteads, all cosily sheltered by rough mountains, and having as its greatest blessing an undisturbed peace and enjoying a way of life that in essence has never altered."
The Newlands Valley stretches from Braithwaite to Buttermere, and includes breath-taking scenery. The cottage is just a 10 mins walk from the Swinside Inn, 3 miles from Keswick, and one and a half miles from the marinas for sailing on Derwentwater. Wordsworth’s House just minutes away. For walkers, the well-known walks of Catbells or Causey Pike pass by your door.
Activities and Places to Visit nearby include:
- Lakes and fell walking/hiking
- Cycling - bike hire available nearby
- Watersports - two marinas with sailing and kayaking on the lakes
- Places of Interest - Honister slate mine, Osprey watching in summer, Theatre by the Lake, The Puzzling Space, Keswick Museum, Wordsworth’s House, Tales of Beatrix Potter
- Keswick - the North Lakes’ most popular holiday and day trip destination. Nestling between the Skiddaw Mountains and Derwentwater Lake, the town is situated in an idyllic location in the Lake District National Park.